Thursday, July 19, 2012

TUSAL and Deep Peace

My jar is starting to get very full!


You see the light gold threads at the top?
That was my new start. - Not fun frogging one over one stitching!

I have had Deep Peace in my stash for years. I decided it was finally time to stitch it.

Deep Peace - Forget-Me-Nots In Stitches
by Lauren Sauer 1998
I think the reason I haven't started it before is that I find it quite daunting! It comes in a booklet form, and the directions are largely written. Although many helpful diagrams are included, it is very different from the usual type chart. I have the utmost admiration for the designer for attempting such a complex design.

Unfortunately the only picture included is very small one on the cover. I have enlarged it here so you can see the detail.

I started on the initial as the instructions suggest.


Not much to show. I had more before I realized I was following the wrong chart. It is all one over one. I was using the smaller overlay and didn't realize that everything was shown one over two! Ugh! Lots of frogging! I was considering buying another piece of fabric and starting over, but the materials for this project were quite pricey, so I thought it best to do the frogging.

One of the things that I am apprehensive about is working with real metal. It calls for gold purl for parts of the initial, as well as real gold and silver paillettes. These were a special order and I am still waiting for them.
I am nervous about this one! I really want to do a good job on it.

Well, I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully there will be no more frogging in my future!

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh that's so pretty! Too bad about the frogging though. Good luck with the metal thread. I've never tried it myself.

Samplers, Silks and Linens said...

I would also be intimidated by this chart - but it is good to challenge ourselves - I am interested in gold work and would love to do some in the future - so make sure you keep us updated with how you are going with this piece :) frogging aside have fun stitching!

Barb said...

This looks like it is going to be quite beautiful.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Looks like its time to move into a bigger jar!

That is going to be just stunning when finished!

Penny said...

This is a pretty design! Hopefully no more frogging. :) Glad to have found your blog!

Karoline said...

Congratulations on finishing Sarah, she's gorgeous

Deep Peace is a lovely new start

Brigitte said...

That's a great new start but wow, what a project. All over one, so it will look gorgeous.

Angela said...

What do you do when your jar is completely filled?