Monday, February 11, 2013

More Harriot and my February TUSAL

I finished the attribution on The Harriot Boardman sampler, and then started the flower pot, which was the last of the cross stitch.
Now to begin the free-style stitch! I started with the deer on the left. First, I outlined the deer shape with a stem stitch which is then covered over with the first band of satin stitching.

I must say this is harder than it looks! Somehow my deer wound up a little further from the border than it should have. Not sure how that happened. I have just started the second band on the bottom. It is hard to plan for how much space it will take up. What you see here is the result of 4 evenings work.


 
It is very slow-going.
I am just hoping it turns out ok. It is very hard to maintain consistency.

Here is the whole thing:

 I am a little anxious to see how it turns out.
I guess I need to engage my inner child, that kid who scribbled with abandon, but who always had to have the right color ! LOL!

Here is my February TUSAL, (hosted by Sharon @ It's  Daffycat ).


You can see all the gold threads from the deer in Harrriot.

Back soon!

12 comments:

Margaret said...

Your Harriot is so pretty! I would flip out if I had to do any surface embroidery. lol! It looks wonderful!

Barb said...

Your Harriot is lovely. It looks quite challenging. You are doing a great job!

cucki said...

Very pretty Harriot..happy stitching x

P.J. said...

Beautiful work lady! It really is coming along nicely.

Brigitte said...

The deer is looking great. You are brave, I can't imagine doing this kind of stitching although it looks so great when finished. I'd just be too anxious.

Nicola said...

Harriot is so pretty and I admire you so much for taking in on the freestyle. I think that the deer is looking very good.

Julie said...

It's looking fabulous, well done.

Susan said...

Very nicely done. I've never done anything like that before - I'll have to put it on the to try list.

Siobhán said...

Harriot is so pretty! You go girl on the freestyle. I have a kit for Sarah Talley (by The Essamplaire) that I paid over $100 for (gasp) and I still haven't touched it because it requires some freestylin', too. Yikes. Just repeat to yourself, "I am woman, hear me roar", and you'll get the job done. ;)

Chris said...

Its coming along beautifully and I quite understand how you feel I am the same with the speciality stitches on my Chatelaine
Chris x

Anne said...

Such a stunning sampler! What stitch are you using for the deer? Just the freestyle way? What fabric did you use? Love it!

Bine said...

Great work. The deer turned out so good. The free style stitching seems so scary to me. If I had to do it, the whole piece would probably end up in the UFO pile... I am admiring you! You are doing fantastic.