Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Time for an update

February so far still has us in the grips of winter. This morning the temp was about 15F. Brrrr!

I know that doesn't sound cold to my Canadian friends, but we are used to it being about 10-15 degrees warmer here!

Here is a picture of my dwindling woodpile. My poor hedge in the background is completely eaten by the deer!

We started out the winter with what I thought was more than enough wood, but now, only halfway through the winter, we definitely will have to order more. Somehow the price keeps going up and up! I don't quite get that. It is quite high now. Last time I ordered, I couldn't find a cord for less than $200 (unstacked).


On the stitching front, I have made very slow progress on Peace in the Country. It is very slow-going with a lot of color changes and backstitching. I am really tired of working with greens! I will be glad when I can move on to the angel.
Now, on to the ever-growing rug!

I haven't worked on the rug for the last two days. I have had to scrounge for more wool. I searched all the local places with no success. I put out a call to my local freecycle. No luck! I finally decided to use some of the pieces in my stash that I previously decided not to use. I will have to find a way to make it work, (just like they did in the old days)!

Here are some pictures of my progress:


Completed row 46, beginning row 47

Completed row 47, start of row 48

Completed row 48, start of row 49

Completed row 49, start of row 50

Completed row 50

I know these are boring pictures and they don't give you an idea of the rug size, but the rug has gotten incredibly heavy. It is very hard to move around. The only way I can work on it is to have it folded over.

Here is a background picture of the tiny dining room:

You can't tell from the picture, but the other side of the rug falls down to the floor.

Quite the mess eh?!

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Brrrrrrr....that looks like snuggling up under a warm blankie weather to me!

Your stitching is coming along so nicely. That really IS alot of green. Hopefully you can change colors, soon. It's funny how a color change can get us so excited!

I'm TOTALLY impressed with your rug making. I would love to know how to do that. I'm sure you've already checked, but I go our thrift stores just to find wool. I buy men's coats, jackets, skirts,etc and cut them up for my projects. It's sooo expensive to buy by the yard, and this has been kind of fun for me. I now go into thrift stores like I'm going into a fabric store....what can I buy and cut up or use the buttons for. Works for me! BEAUTIFUL rug!!

Carmen said...

look so cold outside!!.

the stiching is beutiful.
and the rug,wow! is a great work, amazing!.

Anonymous said...

I'm amazed at your rug! Beautiful blog. Your stitching is amazing.
What types of cats do you have?
They're beautiful...
Petra

Kathy said...

Your stitching is gorgeous. I still love that rug. How big are you planning to make it? How big is it now? Love, love, love it.