Friday, February 9, 2024

Where have all the Pussy Willows gone?

Pussy Willows are my all time favorite flower! Some of my favorite memories are finding them unexpectedly along the roadside.

Usually every February I could count on cutting bunches of them. Now when I pass by where I used to find them. they are nowhere to be seen. What has happened to the roadside weeds? They are all mowed down. It seems every bit of roadside has now been thatched, mowed, sprayed with herbicide, or otherwise "landscaped"!

Yesterday my husband came back from Trader Joe's with two beautiful bunches of pussy willows! I was thrilled to see them. 






They are absolutely gorgeous! They are full and beautiful, completely all in bloom, but they have a look of "farmed" florist flowers.

The pussy willows from the side of the road never had so many blooms. They were definitely more scruffy looking, but I do miss my roadside weeds!

2 comments:

Robin in Virginia said...

They are pretty though and how thoughtful of your husband to bring some home for you. Pussy willows always make me think of my grandmother. She had a "scrub" of them in her far backyard. Have a wonderful weekend, Erica!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Beautiful blooms and a lovely accompaniment to your heart stitching.